The American Medical Association (AMA) released updates to the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code set for 2022. The new code set aims to streamline reporting and tracking of COVID-19 reporting, among other updates.
Highlights of the new 2022 CPT code set:
- The AMA has made 405 editorial changes, including 249 new codes, 63 deletions and 93 revisions
- The CPT code set incorporates a series of 15 vaccine-specific codes to efficiently report and track immunizations and administrative services against COVID-19
- 43% of editorial changes are tied to new technology services described in Category III CPT codes and the continued expansion of the Proprietary Laboratory Analyses (PLA) section of the CPT code set
- In response to the to the fast pace of innovation in digital medicine services, the AMA created 5 new CPT codes (98975, 98976, 98977, 98980, 98981) to report therapeutic remote monitoring.
- The AMA also created new codes for principal care management (99424, 99425, 99426, 99427), which allow physicians and qualified health care professionals to report care management services for patients with one complex chronic condition.
Source: American Medical Association (AMA)
3Gen Consulting has always been in the forefront when it comes to adding value. We always believe in setting our own standards. What sets us apart is the investment that we make in our people, processes and innovation to provide you with market leading healthcare revenue cycle management services. We work as an extension of our clients’ teams by focusing on their key challenges, aligning with their culture and delivering the best results.
If you’re interested in finding the right medical billing and coding services partner, contact us today.