Data on telecommunications technology use during a 30-day period of care at the patient level isn’t currently collected on the Home Health (HH) claim. While the provision of services provided via a telecommunications system must be in the patient’s plan of care, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) doesn’t routinely review plans of care to determine the extent these services are actually provided.
Collecting data on telecommunications technology use on HH claims will allow us to:
- Analyze the characteristics of patients using services provided remotely
- Have a broader understanding of the social determinants that affect who benefits most from these services, including what barriers may potentially exist for certain subsets of patients
Starting on or after January 1, 2023, you may voluntarily report the use of telecommunications technology in providing HH services on HH payment claims. CMS will require this information on HH claims starting on July 1, 2023. You will submit the use of telecommunications technology on the HH claim using the following 3 G-codes:
- G0320: Home health services furnished using synchronous telemedicine rendered via a real-time two-way audio and video telecommunications system
- G0321: Home health services furnished using synchronous telemedicine rendered via telephone or other real-time interactive audio-only telecommunications system
- G0322: The collection of physiologic data digitally stored and/or transmitted by the patient to the home health agency (for example, remote patient monitoring)
Report the use of remote patient monitoring that spans a number of days as a single line item showing the start date of monitoring and the number of days of monitoring in the units field. You’ll submit services provided via telecommunications technology in line-item detail. Report each service as a separate dated line under the appropriate revenue code for each discipline providing the service. You must document the medical record to show how the telecommunications technology helps to achieve the goals outlined on the plan of care.
You can only report the above 3 G-codes on Type of Bill 032x. You should only report these codes with revenue codes 042x, 043x, 044x, 055x, 056x, and 057x.
Source: U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
3Gen Consulting has always been in the forefront when it comes to adding value. We always believe in setting our own standards. What sets us apart is the investment that we make in our people, processes and innovation to provide you with market leading healthcare revenue cycle management services. We work as an extension of our clients’ teams by focusing on their key challenges, aligning with their culture and delivering the best results.
If you’re interested in finding the right medical billing and coding services partner, contact us today.