The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released the 2022 premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance amounts for the Medicare Part A and Part B programs, and the 2022 Medicare Part D income-related monthly adjustment amounts.
Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital, skilled nursing facility, hospice, inpatient rehabilitation, and some home health care services. About 99% of Medicare beneficiaries do not have a Part A premium since they have at least 40 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
- Inpatient hospital deductible has increased by $72 (from $1,484 in 2021 to $1,556 in 2022), which covers the first 60 days of Medicare-covered inpatient hospital care in a benefit period
- Daily coinsurance for the 61st through the 90th day of hospitalization has increased from $371 in 2021 to $389 in 2022
- Daily coinsurance for lifetime reserve days has increased from $742 in 2021 to $778 in 2022
- For beneficiaries in skilled nursing facilities, the daily coinsurance for days 21 through 100 of extended care services in a benefit period will be $194.50 in 2022 ($185.50 in 2021).
- Enrollees age 65 and over who had at least 30 quarters of coverage or were married to someone with at least 30 quarters of coverage may buy into Part A at a reduced monthly premium rate, which will be $274 in 2022, a $15 increase from 2021.
- Certain uninsured aged individuals who have less than 30 quarters of coverage and certain individuals with disabilities who have exhausted other entitlement will pay the full premium, which will be $499 a month in 2022, a $28 increase from 2021.
Medicare Part B
Medicare Part B covers physician services, outpatient hospital services, certain home health services, durable medical equipment, and certain other medical and health services not covered by Medicare Part A. The standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B enrollees will be $170.10 for 2022, an increase of $21.60 from 2021. High-income beneficiaries will have to pay a higher Part B monthly premium. The annual deductible will be $233 in 2022, an increase of $30 in 2021.
Medicare Part D
Medicare Part D provides coverage for prescription medications. Premiums are based on a beneficiary’s income. CMS announced that changes to the income-related monthly adjustments that will affect about 8% of enrollees.
Source: U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
3Gen Consulting has always been in the forefront when it comes to adding value. We always believe in setting our own standards. What sets us apart is the investment that we make in our people, processes and innovation to provide you with market leading healthcare revenue cycle management services. We work as an extension of our clients’ teams by focusing on their key challenges, aligning with their culture and delivering the best results.
If you’re interested in finding the right medical billing and coding services partner, contact us today.