The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced Calendar Year (CY) 2023 Medicare Advantage (MA) Capitation Rates and Part C and Part D Payment Policies (the Rate Announcement).
Here are some key takeaways:
- Announced an 8.50% expected average increase in revenue, was higher than the expectations laid out in the advanced notice of 7.98%
- Determined that the effective growth rate will be 4.88% for 2023
- Finalized a 0.54% average increase in Medicare Advantage star ratings
- CMS will continue to calculate risk scores exclusively using diagnoses exclusively from MA encounter data submissions and fee-for-service (FFS) claims
- Finalized changes to the risk adjustment model for payment to Medicare Advantage organizations for members with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)
- CMS will continue to use the 2017 CMS-HCC model to calculate non-ESRD risk scores, the 2019 CMS-HCC ESRD models to calculate ESRD risk scores, and the 2020 RxHCC model to calculate Part D risk scores
- Maintained the minimum coding pattern adjustment of 5.90%
- Use of 2016–2020 risk scores to calculate the normalization factor
- Implemented an updated version of the RxHCC risk adjustment model for Part D sponsors other than PACE
Source: U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
3Gen Consulting has always been in the forefront when it comes to adding value. We always believe in setting our own standards. What sets us apart is the investment that we make in our people, processes and innovation to provide you with market leading healthcare revenue cycle management services. We work as an extension of our clients’ teams by focusing on their key challenges, aligning with their culture and delivering the best results.
If you’re interested in finding the right medical billing and coding services partner, contact us today.